A traveller's amulet, also known as a traveller's locket, is a device that is used for locating and opening rifts in weak points of the "fabric between worlds," allowing for transpatial travel. A traveller's amulet was used by Tasi Trianon to travel back and forth between Earth and the Other World.
Although the specifics of the device's inner workings are unclear, the amulet appears to use electricity, or "tamed-Lightning" as Alexander of Brennenburg calls it, in order to function. The amulet is able to locate rifts between worlds and, barring a rare alignment of the planets and stars, is necessary to traverse them.
It is possible to find the "weak points" for rift locations through specific calculations without an amulet. However, as indicated by Professor Herbert, travelling through the rifts without an amulet requires an extremely rare alignment of the planets and stars, making it impractical.
During the expedition, Herbert ordered that he be notified of, among other things, anything resembling "his amulet."
Events of Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Several centuries prior to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Alexander lost access to a traveller's amulet and began to focus all of his efforts on recreating one—albeit in a rather primitive form—using the Orbs to power it. However, all was lost when the first Orb he used shattered into six pieces. During the events of The Dark Descent, Alexander used Daniel's Orb to activate his crude approximation of the amulet's mechanisms. He may or may not have returned to the Other World at the game's climax depending on the player's actions.
Events of Amnesia: Rebirth
In Amnesia: Rebirth, Tasi was lead to a locket by the Empress, who beckoned her to her realm in order to heal and protect the crewmen of the Cassandra from the harsh desert. The player does not actually experience the discovery of the locket; rather Tasi is notified that she found it in a note left by her past self. The locket itself is found on Tasi's bracelet when she awakens.
The hands points towards rifts in the immediate area and glows. Closer to the rift, the hands spin quicker. Once close enough to a rift, the amulet will open up a portal for the player to step through. Said rifts are often distinguished by a cluster of floating rocks.
- Whether the amulet allows for trans-dimensional travel (between universes) or merely for interplanetary travel (within the same universe) is unknown.
- Explorer's Note (4) (Rebirth): "The Traveller's Amulet, according to Weyer, should focus these energies and provoke the weak points to tear open, forming a rift between this world and another. But I have no amulet."
- Herbert's Final Note (Rebirth): "I have searched for a portal but there is none. I have triangulated the weakest points with Lévi's calculations, but I cannot tear a rift, for I do not have a Traveller's Amulet."
- Machine (TDD)
- Explorer's Note (4) (Rebirth): "If I remember his treatise, rifts can form without an amulet, but that is down to the alignment of the spheres and their stars. I cannot move the stars."
- Note to Abdullah (1) (Rebirth):"Any records, carvings, or signs that resemble my amulet, I wish to hear about them."
- Note from Tasi (Rebirth): "She led us to an amulet, hidden in the shrine. I took it. Now there is a shimmering doorway in the rock. I swear it wasn't there before. If we step through, Hank might live."