- "My name is.... I am... Daniel!"
- ―Daniel, moments before the game begins.
In the game's intro, Daniel can be seen stumbling through the Rainy Hall, falling in and out of consciousness, repeating information for himself to remember. After this, he falls unconscious, and wakes up in the far end of the Rainy Hall.
There is a trail of pink liquid leading through the Rainy Hall. Following it serves as Daniel's first objective in the game. The liquid is probably residue from the Amnesia Drink which Daniel drank to induce a state of amnesia unto himself.
A large door leads out to what can only be assumed to be the castle's balcony, as Daniel is on the first floor, but the Shadow prevents him from leaving. Daniel having no bearings decides to start following the liquid trail back to its source through long, narrow hallways down to the Old Archives.
Once the player starts the game and wakes up, they will find themselves in a small hallway with a single room. In this room is a table with one Tinderbox. After leaving the starting area, the player will go to another hallway with statues, entrance to another hallway and a large door. Touching the large door will make The Shadow roar and the player to lose a bit of Sanity . Upon leaving the hallway, a gust of wind will blow a door open and make the player lose sanity. In that room will be a fireplace and a table with a Tinderbox. Going back to the hallway you just entered, there will be 2 dressers with a tinderbox in each. Next to one of those dressers is a door leading to stairs.
The player will then reach a corridor in which a "door creaking" sound can be heard and the walls can be seen getting closer and closer to the player. After getting halfway through the corridor, the player will suddenly collapse and eventually get back up. The player will reach another area with 2 rooms and the next area. One room is shrouded in darkness with one statue and a tinderbox. The other is well lit and has a couple of paintings, however after entering the room, the whole room also becomes shrouded in darkness. The player will also lose sanity after this event happens. The next area contains stairs going down to the next level, the Old Archives.
- On the table in the small room behind Daniel as soon as he wakes up.(1)
- Further ahead, in the corridor, a tinderbox can be found in a closet to the left of Daniel.(2)
- In front of the closet, a small room with a fireplace can be found. The third tinderbox is on the table in the room.(3)
- Exiting the room, another tinderbox can be found to the right inside of another closet.(4)
- The next tinderbox can be found in a tiny, dark room with a knights armor in it, to your right just before you enter the Old Archives.(5)
- When Daniel interacts with the large door in the hallway, the Shadow will roar at him and obstruct it, but its fleshy matter does not appear. He will lose a little sanity from being startled.
- Daniel cannot run in this area. After taking the Amnesia tonic that destroyed his former-self's personality and memories, he is very dizzy and confused. He'll often lose his balance and nearly black-out several times.
- In the demo, this area leads straight to the Refinery.
- When entering a hallway, Daniel will begin to panic, and the walls will appear to be "compacting" or closing in on the hallway. It is unclear if this was an event caused by The Shadow, or a mere hallucination. This event is perfectly safe as the walls do not cave in completely.
- When passing through a certain hallway, Daniel will hear several demonic screams and the sound of knives cutting. He will then collapse on the floor. This is obviously a hallucination, due to the effects of the amnesia mixture.
- This area along with the beginning of the Old Archives, the Archives, the Study, the Machine Room, the Control Room and the Sewer have no music background soundtrack.
|The Dark Descent locations|
|Main campaign||Brennenburg Castle locations||Rainy Hall • Old Archives • Entrance Hall • Archives • Wine Cellar • Laboratory • Refinery • Cellar Archives • Archive Tunnels • Back Hall • Storage • Guest Room • Study • Machine Room • Elevator • Prison: Southern Block • Prison: Northern Block • Cistern Entrance • Control Room • Cistern • Morgue • Sewer • Nave • Chancel • Transept • Choir Entrance • Choir - Main Hall • Cells • Inner Sanctum • Orb Chamber|
|Other locations||London • Algeria • Altstadt • Tomb of Tin Hinan • Zimmermann Farm|
|Justine campaign||Cabinet of Perturbation||Cells • Library • Dungeon • Crypt|
|Other locations||Florbelle Estate|