- "One of my responsibilities as a baron is that of a prison warden. This is where criminals are locked up."
- ―Alexander telling Daniel about the prison.
The Prison is a section of Brennenburg Castle. It is divided into two blocks: Northern and Southern. This and its northern counterpart are arguably one of the most dangerous areas of the game, disregarding the Choir.
InformationEditThe prison is where Alexander of Brennenburg kept his human victims before they were brought down to the torture rooms. It is a maze of hallways and jail cells, and is patrolled by Servant Grunts. Brutes will also make various appearances, but they will be purely cinematic. As with the Storage, the player should explore this section of the castle with extreme caution as the darkness, the labyrinthine disposition of the rooms, and especially the great number of enemy encounters make this location one of the most dangerous in the game.
It is inadvisable to conserve on lantern oil by lighting many torches, partly because The Shadow often blows out sources of light, wasting tinderboxes, but mostly due to the Gatherers. However, lantern oil may be found in various places in the Prison anyway. Trying to escape from a pursuing Grunt in these lit corridors is almost impossible and will likely result in Daniel being killed if you run into a dead-end. The best way to deal with Grunts, as in previous areas such as the Storage, is to keep one's ears open for a Grunt's growl, which are triggered by picking up certain objects or moving into certain areas, and immediately turn around and hide in a small room with the door closed and the lantern off. If you're spotted and cornered, duck past the Grunt and run somewhere else with the lantern off. Daniel can withstand a couple of hits from Grunts, and Laudanum can be taken if first aid is needed.
A Brute can be heard savagely beating a screaming man, suggesting that there are some prisoners still left, although this can be just another one of Daniel's hallucinations. It is believed that most of the people being held in the Prison cells had been taken away for torture or died of other causes long ago.
When Daniel is about halfway down the elevator it will break down. When he later wakes up he will find himself at the Prison's Southern Block, which is the fifteenth location visited in the game. A flashback in this area suggests Daniel refers to this place as a "Dungeon." Alexander admits this, but says that one of his responsibilities as a baron is that of a prison warden. It is known that the prisoners were not murderers, but innocents taken in to produce the right vitae for Alexander's ritual into the next dimension. Alexander appears to be stammering, or nervous as he quickly suggests that Daniel and he exit the corridors as soon as possible. After the flashback, Daniel will start searching the prison after clearing a cave-in in front of the door out of the elevator room. There are a few Servant Grunts roaming the area, so be cautious. Your objectives in the Southern Block are to find a hammer and a chipper, combine the two, and find some way to exit the Block, as all normal exits are locked. The Southern Block is comprised of Cell Area I (area cellūs I) and Cell Area II (area cellūs II).
After you move the debris out from in front of the cell, proceed into the corridor. After it bends to the left, you will find branches to the right, left, and up stairs. The Hammer is at the end of the left-hand corridor in one of two cells. Go and retrieve it. (The right-hand corridor is only needed if you're desperately short on tinderboxes.)
Next you have to go up the stairs. But you'll hear a grunt growl when you're about halfway up, at which point you should turn around and scatter. Running back to the elevator room is one option, but it is more lit and easier for the grunt to see you. But there are some hiding places, including on top of a lion statue, in the elevator room, in case he follows you that far. Another possibility is to go back down the hall where you got the Hammer, which is darker and has two cells to hide in, and hide there. Either way, lie in wait until the grunt goes away, then go back up the stairs.
At the top of the stairs, the hall branches straight forward and to the right, ultimately forming a large square. The recommended way is to go straight forward, getting the Chipper and lantern oil from each of the cells. (One cell has a rusted lock; hit it with the Hammer.) Finally, you'll find one cell in the far northeast of the square (opposite from the flight of stairs where you heard the grunt growl) where a flashback involving the murdered girl and her mother, who were kept there, informs you this is where you have to escape. Move the bed, use the Hammer & Chipper on the hole the girl used to make it big enough for yourself, and proceed to the Northern Block.
If you go back down the stairs where the first Servant Grunt appears, and you've done everything you were supposed to do, you'll hear a monster growl when you're half-way down. There's another grunt in the hallway before the stairs where you came from (the elevator room). The grunt won't see you if you run quickly to the dark cell to hide. The grunt will then just walk towards the door where a brute is seen savagely beating a man to the door when you get close enough. He will then disappear if you quietly walk away. If you remain in the cell with the candle, the Grunt won't disappear.
- Follow the corridor until you get to an intersection, then take a right. Follow the corridor to the end. The tinderbox is on the ground near some rubble blocking the path.(86)
- After picking it up, head into the cell that you just passed heading to 86. A tinderbox can be found on the ground next to a fallen-over chair.(87)
- Head back to the intersection and take a left this time (looking from where you first accessed the intersection). Follow the corridor until you reach an area with cells on either side of you. Enter the cell on your left. The tinderbox can be found hidden inside of a bucket.(88)
- Once again, head back to the intersection, and this time, go up the stairs and follow the corridor to the right at the top of the stairs. Be careful as a Grunt may be roaming this area. Follow the corridor until you come across another intersection. Here, take a right, and you will find the tinderbox on the ground near some rubble and a bottle of Laudanum.(89)
- Head back out, and take a right, down the stairs to the locked gate. The tinderbox is on the ground in front of the gate.(90)
- Head back up the stairs and take the first right. Then head straight until you come across another intersection and a cell right in front of you. Enter the cell and you will find the tinderbox on the ground along with an oil canister.(91)
- There is one container in a cell at the end of the corridor that's on your left when you get to the stairs. It's opposite the cell where you find the hammer.
- An oil container sits on a chair in the main hallway.
- In a cell close to the cell with the hidden hole under the bed.
- There is an oil barrel in a cell just north of the potion you find on a chair in the hallway. The door is jammed, and you will have to use the hammer and chipper to smash the lock.
- In a small dead-end corridor blocked by rocks next to a tinderbox.
Once you have made it to the Northern Block of the prison, the game's sixteenth area, you will need two more items to get through a door that has a padlock in poor shape. This area is fairly large and one can easily get confused, and the fact that you will trigger more Grunts than even in the Storage earlier in the game doesn't help matters, but thankfully the Prison's stygian darkness will help you immensely in keeping you hidden from the Grunts. Head towards the left after you get out of the hole in order to reach the storage (receptaculum) and collect a glass jar that you will use to hold the acid you will use to weaken the padlock. It's advisable you follow the signs here and head for 'storage' before going to the 'kitchen' as that minimizes the number of encounters with a Gatherer. The Northern Block is dangerously full of Grunts, but it also has lots of supplies for Daniel's quest. It is comprised of Cell Area III (area cellūs III), Cell Area IV (area cellūs IV), the kitchen (culina), and the storage (not to be confused with the Storage off the Back Hall).
Be careful as there are roughly twice as many enemies in the area compared to the Southern Block; just keep an eye and an ear out for them. You don't have to worry about Brutes; they are mostly just visual encounters and the worst they'll do is drain your sanity so just stand still and wait for them to leave. A Grunt, on the other hand, will always growl right before wandering into your area. Don't panic if you hear them; just find a good, dark place to hide.
Heading toward the storage through a twisting passage with a short flight of stairs, you'll find a T-intersection. This is actually a central area consisting of four small halls arranged in a rectangle, with four passages off the rectangle leading to the left, straight, and right, plus the one you just came from. The left passage off the rectangle leads to an area with three cells; the right cell is jammed shut, the center one is lit and contains a diary entry, and the left one is dark and contains oil. Taking this diary entry and then leaving the cell will trigger a Grunt to come and investigate, but go forward into the dark and hide in or by the other cell so the Grunt won't see you. The center passage off the rectangle takes you to a locked gate to the Cistern Entrance but ignore it for now as you can't weaken the padlock just yet, as well as the other passage just by the Cistern Entrance gate leading off to the right, which is a dead end and far more trouble than it's worth. The right passage off the rectangle leads to the Storage. On your way to the Storage you'll pass by two more cells on either side of you. The one on the right has an open door, a corpse and another diary entry, while a Servant Grunt is lingering in the left cell behind the closed door. Another Grunt will appear in the hall straight ahead of you as you pass by these cells, so duck into the right cell and wait for him to stop hunting. If it takes too long, go out and find another dark corner, such as the one just outside the Storage, until the hunting music ends.
(Sometime during the course of these events, you'll hear Alexander for the first time via telepathy, first remarking, "Is he safe? Well, it's for his own good"... then, "Soon it will be ready. Let there be enough time"... and then, irritated, "He escaped? Where is he now?". It is somewhat unclear whether Alexander is referring to Daniel and communicating with the Grunts, or talking about someone else, such as Johann Weyer.)
Go down the short steps into the lit Storage and take the glass jar. Once you leave the Storage, be careful as the monster in that cell you passed by earlier will now come out, so find another place to hide. The Storage is actually not optimal, because it is fairly well-lit, and the Grunt will be looking at it specifically; the dead end up the stairs and straight ahead, which is dark, may work better. When it's safe, you may enter the other cell that formerly had the Grunt without fear of attack as the Grunt has now left it.
Now you have a glass jar and just need to fill it with acid. Proceed to the kitchen. Just before you grab the acid, yet another Grunt will start hunting for you. Thankfully, the Kitchen has several dark corners, including a particularly suitable one full of hanging pork, so wait in one until the Grunt gives up. Then grab the acid with the glass jar and head back to the other side of the prison again. A Grunt may randomly spawn as you leave the kitchen, but if you keep moving he will most likely lose track of you.
Go back to the passageway with the metal gate leading to the Cistern Entrance, use the acid on the padlock, and then the hammer and chipper. After you break the lock, one last Grunt will spawn behind you and the terror music will start, so open the door quickly and head to the Cistern Entrance, and, presumably, slam the heavy door in his face just before he gets you.
- Crawl out of the crawlspace and follow the sign labelled "Kitchen". Once you reach the kitchen, check on a shelf on the right side of the room for two tinderboxes.(92 & 93)
- Exit the kitchen, go past the crawlspace and up the stairs. Follow the corridor until you see a sign labelled "Cell Block III", then head right, following the sign labelled "Storage". When you reach the next fork, take a right and then head into the first cell on your right side. A tinderbox and a piece of Daniel's Diary can be found in here on a bedside table.(94)
- Head into the cell opposite the one you were just in. Be wary, though, as there is a Servant Grunt in here. If you get killed by him you will respawn in the cell. The tinderbox is in a corner on a pile of filth in a small sub-room of the cell.(95)
- Head back out and to your left, towards Cell Block IV. Go right at the fork and down the stairs, and you will reach the storage just around the corner. In the storage, you can find a whole four tinderboxes: Two on a shelf on the right side, and two in a chest on the left side with an oil canister.(96, 97, 98, & 99)
- Head back out and back up the stairs, take a left and follow the corridor past the two cells and then take a right at the fork. Keep heading straight at the next fork, around the bend, and then take a right at the next fork. Follow the corridor until you reach an area with cells on either side of you. Head into the cell on your right and you will find a tinderbox on the ground underneath a small table.(100)
- In the other cell opposite this one, a tinderbox can be found near the dead man.(101)
- Going back out the cell, and back left at the fork, and then another left at the next fork, and then straight ahead, you will find yourself at the gate to the Cistern Entrance. A tinderbox can be found on the floor near the gate.(102)
- Taking the last fork before the gate to the cistern entrance, and following the corridor all the way to the end, the final tinderbox of the Prison can be found on the floor near a locked gate and a couple of boxes and barrels.(103)
- There is one oil container hidden in the kitchen.
- In a tiny cell in the western part of the prison.
- There is one container in the back of a cell you pass by on your way to the Storage. Be aware though, as a Grunt roams this cell.
- One container can be found in a chest in the storage.
- In a corner of the kitchen.
- Daniels Diary - Brennenburg - One entry can be found in the prison kitchen. Another entry can be found in a cell to your right as you're heading towards the storage, and a third one can be found on the floor in a cell at the end of the corridor you reach if you head to the left once you reach the fork that is labelled "Cell Area III".
- Through a barred window you can see a lit spiral stairway leading down into the depths of the castle. This area is not to be confused with the Nave and is inaccessible.
- If the player somehow gets killed by a grunt inside the tunnel you must crawl through to reach the Northern Block, the player will respawn in the tunnel, but the latter will be consumed by The Shadow.
- If the player closes the padlocked door behind them after breaking the lock and watches the Grunt approach the door, it will despawn.
- The two Brutes found in the Southern Block are both named "im_in_a_bad_mood" and "im_just_cute_and_happy".
- One monster can be avoided simply by going to the Storage in the Northern Block and obtaining the glass jar before entering the Kitchen.
- If one were to enter the Kitchen at first objective in the Northern Block and simply be killed by a servant grunt, the player will respawn in the area behind the barred gate seen in the Southern Block where the brute could be seen walking by. As you walk forward, the sound of a grunt breaking down the door to your right can be heard and some sanity will be lost.
- The notes in the Northern block featuring Daniel's notes on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of August are scattered, but not scripted to a certain note. For example, the game will trigger scripting for the notes to be read in order from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, no matter what note is picked up first.
- If one were to listen closely to the music that is played in the background of the first event encountered, which features of supposedly a brute savagely beating a man, they could hear that the theme for an attacking brute can be heard in the background.
- The background music in the Southern Prison Block is also heard in the Storage, though without the latter one's sustained rumble noise.
- If the player were to put one of the white plates inside the acid container, the plate will break and it's shards will become glitched and will start to randomly shake in the air. This is most likely a glitch due to the hitbox of the acid jar. The acid jar is specifically a static entity, as the plate's entity file has a breaking format. The remnants are noted as different entities, but still have the same hitbox as the plate itself as a whole, causing massive glitches.
|Locations of The Dark Descent:|
|Brennenburg Castle locations:||Rainy Hall • Old Archives • Entrance Hall • Archives • Wine Cellar • Laboratory • Refinery • Cellar Archives • Archive Tunnels • Back Hall • Storage • Guest Room • Study • Machine Room • Elevator • Prison: Southern Block • Prison: Northern Block • Cistern Entrance • Control Room • Cistern • Morgue • Sewer • Nave • Chancel • Transept • Choir Entrance • Choir - Main Hall • Cells • Inner Sanctum • Orb Chamber|
|Other locations:||London • Algeria • Altstadt • Tomb of Tin Hinan • Zimmermann Farm|