Fortifying is an elaborate method of hiding. It involves finding a room with a door opening outwards, and then stockpiling crates and other objects in front of it so as to impede the gatherer's advance. Depending on the door you are hiding behind, Grunts can destroy it in 7-10 seconds, while Brutes can destroy it in about 3-5 seconds.
When the player suspects that a Gatherer has entered the area, they may choose to either hide or follow these steps:
- Look for a room with ideally one door.
- Check to see if the door opens outwards.
- Enter room and close door behind you.
- Take note of the items in the room and choose which will be best for barricading the door.
- Place objects in front of the door.
- Find a place in the room to hide.
Methods of fortificationEdit
The most common way to fortify your position is to block the doorway with crates. As these are the most abundant "large" objects in the game, they are most frequently used. There are, however, other methods and objects with which to fortify the room you are in. Some types of furniture, like sofas and wardrobes, are immune to destruction by the game's physics or Gatherers and are therefore suitable objects to use when fortifying. Sofas can easily be jumped over if the player wishes to barricade a room and exit it without removing fortification. Note that gatherers may still knockback these objects if the physics are allowing them to do so.
- This is the most time-consuming method of avoiding enemies.