So, you have ridden an elevator before?Alexander speaking to Daniel in a flashback.
When Daniel first tries to use the elevator ("ascending room") it will not work. To be able to use it, you must first fix the machine powering it in the Machine Room , with the help from the various notes and items you've obtained in the Storage and the other rooms that can be accessed from the Back Hall.
Once you get the elevator to work, it can be used to get to the Prison. The Shadow will invade this area, having completely consumed the Back Hall and Machine Room. This leaves Daniel no choice but to escape the nightmarish beast by riding the elevator down. Although about halfway there, the red residue the Shadow leaves behind will show up on the wall. Right after, the elevator will start shaking violently and then break down, falling right down to the prison.
There are no tinderboxes in this area.
- There are no oil canisters in this area.
- There are no oil barrels in this area.
There is no laudanum in this area.
There are no documents in this area.
- In a commentary node found in the elevator, it can be heard saying that the elevator is not actually moving; it's the wall in front of the elevator that's moving. This same trick is used in cinemas and theatres around the world. [elaborate: used how?]
- During a flashback, Daniel called the elevator an "ascending room" rather than a "lift," which is what British subjects usually called it in the time period of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. In 1823, the elevator made its debut in London as an "ascending room". The demonstration of it working was open to the public, and Daniel claimed to have attended the demonstration as a child.
- An elevator returns in A Machine for Pigs as a means of accessing many areas in Mandus' factory compounds. The elevator's design was altered to suit the game's timeline.
|Locations in The Dark Descent & Justine|