I'll kill you, you whore!Basile
Monsieur Basile Giroux (French: /ba.zil ʒiʁu/) was the able-bodied, ill-tempered wood-worker turned insane and violent by the relentless psychological and physical torture of the noblewoman he sought romantically, who served as both captive and guard in the Cabinet of Perturbation. Basile is one of the monstrous Suitors from Amnesia: Justine, and as such, he is one of the game's three major antagonists.
Basile appears in-game exactly the same as the other two Suitors, as a malnourished, nearly-skeletal, shaven, nude man hobbling around the dungeons of the Florbelle Estate. His skin is pale and numerous lacerations can be seen on his body. His hands and legs are wrapped in chains and there is a metal wheel around his neck to keep him from resting.
Basile Giroux is the second of the three Suitors whom mademoiselle Justine encounters throughout her test. His anger towards Justine is implied to originate from an event where Justine drugged him, tied him up and blinded him after forcing him to read the line she prepared for him. Basile appears to have retained the most sanity of the three Suitors and wants to exact retribution upon the woman who ruined him.
In a phonograph recording, one can hear an exchange between him and Justine that involves Basile regaining consciousness after being drugged, and finding himself restrained in some strange device. After this, Justine forces him to read from a prepared script, which states "your beauty is blinding." At that moment, Basile screams out, realizing he's been blinded. Justine laughs at him, and Basile curses her for blinding him and threatens to kill her.
It is possible that Basile was a carpenter, as entering the empty prison cell between the other two cells (where Aloïs and Malo were being held) causes flashback sounds of sawing wood and hammering. Other elements in the game that hint to Basile's former career are that Aloïs' note stated Basile was strong, and if the player enters any other cell, it won't produce flashback sounds that require physical work (apart from the racquet sounds in Aloïs' cell and violin sounds in Malo's). Several bricks in Basile's cell were removed, but not without it causing injury, as there is blood around the brick slots and on the bricks themselves.
Basile is a more threatening enemy than Alois and has aggressive voice lines.
He appears in the basement area after leaving the library section, whispering threats and curses as he hunts for Justine. When he appears, all the lights in the basement will be mysteriously blown out, and the door will slam shut, locking you in.
Once spawned, Basile does not de-spawn and will continue to patrol the area looking for the player. It is necessary to sneak past him in order to continue. However, this isn't too difficult as long as you do so without making too much noise since he is blind. Once the Justine enters the exit corridor Basile will eventually realise what is happening and will attempt to catch her.
As soon as Basile Giroux appears the player can hide in a closest spot to the corridor from which Basile walks out from and start throwing rocks in the center of the basement. Once Basile wanders off to investigate the source of the sound player can either sneak away to the exit or make a run for it. A much riskier fit includes the player running right through the basement and dashing past Basile. Basile will attempt to bash Justine but will miss and it will take some time for him wind up and charge after her.
- "I'll rip your head off!"
- "You thought you'd get away, didn't you!?"
- Strictly, the real circumstances of Basile's blinding are unknown.
- The timing of Basile's blinding cannot be said with certainty. While, during the phonograph recording, he does scream in what could be pain, it could just as easily be a scream of shock at the realization he'd been blinded beforehand. Basile is said to be "strong" by Aloïs, and Justine mockingly taunts him by claiming her physical weakness. While it is by no means impossible for Justine to blind him in the moment by a weapon, chemical, or machine, in his drug-addled state, the dialogue between the two suggests equally plausibly that Basile was blinded prior to waking up and merely had this fact revealed to him during the recording.
- Additionally, since the wax cylinder is an audio recording, with neither Justine nor Basile making explicit reference to the method of blinding, and since there is no tell-tale noise (such as a piercing sound for a spike or blade entering his eyes, or a sizzle for a burning-hot poker or brand), exactly how Justine blinded Basile is impossible to say. He may have been poisoned, or had his eyes plucked out, or had them chemically burned, or possibly pierced, sliced, or branded. No other known notes or recordings touch on the event, so the precise method is a mystery.
- Basile's given name is pronounced "BAH-zeel" in French, equivalent to the English name "Basil" and the Russian name "Vasily," and is ultimately derived from Ancient Greek Basíleios, meaning "king" or "kingly."
- Basile's surname is pronounced, very roughly, "JEE-roo" in French, with a softer "j" sound and a gutteral "r." It is a surname shared by a famous hockey player from Quebec, Claude Giroux, and an influential pedagogical scholar and cultural critic, Henry Armand Giroux. It is associated with the historic region in southern France known as Languedoc, where a related Romance language, Occitan, was and is spoken.
- Amnesia: Justine – English credits: "Jon St. John as Basile"
- Billet Doux (Justine)
- Phonograph – Basile (Justine)
- "Basile." Wiktionary: The Free Dictionary. Accessed 10 Sep 2021.
- "Василий (Russian)." Wiktionary: The Free Dictionary. Accessed 10 Sep 2021.
- "Βασίλειος (Ancient Greek)." Wiktionary: The Free Dictionary. Accessed 10 Sep 2021.
- Phonograph: Basile (Justine) — Justine: "Speak into the phonograph, Basile, mon chéri."
- "Giroux." Wiktionary: The Free Dictionary. Accessed 10 Sep 2021.
- "Giroux History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms." House of Names. Accessed 10 Sep 2021.
- : "Occitan language." Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Accessed 10 Sep 2021.
|The Dark Descent, Justine, and Remember characters|
|The Dark Descent monsters|