Before being given the name Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the game had gone under two different names, Lux Tenebras and Unknown. The game underwent many changes before release, resulting in a lot of content being left on the cutting-room floor. This is a summary of all the known cut content from the game.
- Cloud Thing - Referred as
ps_cloud_thing01.psfrom the files. This particle would occur at least four times in the Archives location. What it means remains a mystery.
- Many Books - An unfinished scare sequence involves the books falling off from the shelves upon entering one of the Archives rooms.
- Darker Fog - Found from the script, the fog was meant to have the Storage area a much darker and stronger atmosphere.
- Blood Rituals - Two sequences meant to reveal Daniel performing the torture during his time with Alexander from the Transept and Choir room.
- Greenhouse - A garden room with bizarre plant lifeforms.
- Dissection Lab - The laboratory with post-tested animal corpses.
The game was initially intended to contain combat elements, much like in Penumbra: Overture. Weapons included the pickaxe, bow and arrow, and a flintlock pistol. These were all removed, with the Sanity Potion and Thalers still able to be implemented in Custom Stories.
- Thalers - Bags of coins used for opening chests.
- Sanity Potion - A potion used for restoring sanity.
- Pickaxe - A leftover from Penumbra: Overture.
- Severed Hand - A severed human hand with unknown usage.
- Unreleased Keys - Four unused keys for few various existing locations.
- Unreleased Jars - Two unused jars with unknown usage.
- Flintlock Pistol
- Bow and Arrow
The monsters were first intended to be hybrid combinations of humans and plants, before ending up quickly rejected.
- Fish Head - A zombie head with thick root-like tentacles sprouting from the mouth.
- Flower Man - A human corpse-like entity infested by a large flower.
- Baby Plant - A plant-like creature that opens its "mouth" like a pea pod to attack.
- Spider - Small enemies that were meant to be a part of the Archives where Daniel hallucinates a dying man. Functions the same as in Penumbra: Overture, albeit unable to be killed.
- Tuurngait Infected - A monster from Penumbra: Black Plague who is used as a test enemy from one of the prototype gameplay videos, before ending up replaced by the Gatherers. They have the same voice files and function as they had in Black Plague, though have the sanity loss effect added.
- Sorcerer - A monster who is originally planned to be included in the game, as suggested from one of the developers' enemy description logs.
Documents and RecordingsEdit
- Herbert's Lost Diary - Three diary pages written by Herbert. These were supposedly found in the Control Room, and can be located in the Super Secret file.
- Historian's Diary - A diary entry written by the unnamed historian. It is only seen in the game's BETA gameplay video.
|Unreleased The Dark Descent Content|
|Monsters||Baby Plant • Fish-Face • Flower Man • Sorcerer • Spider • Tuurngait Infected|
|Locations||Greenhouse • Dissection Room|
|Items||Bomb • Bow and Arrow • Flintlock Pistol • Sanity Potion • Thalers • Severed Hand • Pickaxe • Unreleased Keys • Unreleased Jars|
|Documents and Recordings||Herbert's Lost Diary • Historian's Diary|
|Miscellaneous||Unreleased Justine Content|